Explore our galleries and discover some of the stories, myths and legends told through art. Use role-play and your senses to investigate these stories. Learn specialist art vocabulary and compare how paintings were created.
- Discover the stories behind paintings including Briar Rose, Perseus & Andromeda and Noah’s Ark
- Role-play scenes and discuss characters’ thoughts and feelings
- Discover painting techniques and materials
- Ask relevant questions to extend their understanding and knowledge
- Use their senses to explore paintings
- Compare and contrast art from the 15th to the 19th century
- Learn art vocabulary
Suitable for: Year 1-3
Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes
Group size: Up to 35 pupils – you can book more than one session.
We have two sessions available at 10.15am-11.30am and 11.45am-1pm. Further sessions may be available. Please ask.
Planning on having a picnic as part of your visit? Free use of our lunch room is included in the cost of your session.
Arts Award and Artsmark Award
This workshop can be used to support your Arts Award in the following ways:
• Discover: find out about artists and their work
• Explore: explore the work of artists
Supports Artsmark Award criteria: Pupil Engagement; Range of Offer: Values and Ethos; Local cultural visit; Partnerships
Learning enquiry form
Please complete this form to start the booking process.
This workshop takes place in the art galleries.
Required ratio is one adult for every six pupils. Pupils will work in 3 groups. Each group will require support from at least one adult.
You are welcome to take photographs. We’d love you to share pictures of your school trip with us on social media.
Eating and drinking is not permitted in the museum. Crumbs attract pests and our collections are far too precious to be attacked!
The school lunch room is available by prior arrangement and is free for schools booking workshops.
Art workshops for schools
You might also be interested in these art workshops for school groups: