M Shed has reopened!
Please book your visit in advance to guarantee entry. We may be able to accommodate walk-ups if we are quiet but we recommend pre-booking to avoid disappointment.
During your visit, please remember hands, face, space. Please do not visit if you feel unwell or have COVID-19 symptoms.
Have a question about your visit? See our frequently asked questions below.
How do I book a time slot?
The easiest way to book a visit is online.
Time slots are available every 30 minutes during the day. Last entry into the museum is 4pm. We close at 5pm.
There is no booking fee. Entry remains free – although donations are always welcome!
Time slots are available two weeks in advance. This helps us to manage cancellations and respond to any changes in Government regulations. New time slots are released on a weekly basis.
After booking, you will receive an email confirmation that you will need to show us when you arrive. You don’t need to print it – just show it to us on your mobile phone.
In line with government guidance, the personal details you provide upon booking may be used to support the NHS Test and Trace process to control the spread of coronavirus. This data will be held by us for 21 days and then deleted.
If you can’t book online due to an accessibility requirement, you can book over the phone by calling our Box Office on 0117 352 6600, Tuesday to Sunday, 10.30am – 5pm.
What if I have to cancel / alter my booking?
You will find a link within your confirmation email to cancel or amend your booking.
What safety measures do you have in place?
We’ve implemented a number of changes to keep our visitors, staff and volunteers safe:
- All visits must be booked in advance.
- We’re limiting the number of visitors each day to ensure everyone has a safe and enjoyable experience.
- Visitors can only enter M Shed through the dockside entrance.
- There are social distance markers to manage any queues.
- There is no access to the cafe from inside M Shed. People wishing to visit the cafe must do so from the cafe entrance on Museum Square. Therefore we recommend visiting the cafe before your time slot or at the very end. We apologise for any inconvenience.
- We are asking visitors to maintain social distancing by staying two-metres apart.
- Visitors are required to wear face coverings unless they are exempt.
- We’re limiting the number of visitors in some galleries and the gift shop to help maintain social distancing. Please do be patient with us.
- Hand sanitisers are available around the venues. Please wash your hands regularly and use the hand sanitiser provided.
- Enhanced cleaning measures are in place. High traffic areas such as toilets, lifts, and handrails will be disinfected regularly.
- Our interactive exhibits and touchscreens will remain closed to limit people’s contact with hard or shared surfaces. This includes the big green bus. Look out for QR codes so you can experience these objects from your mobile device. You may also wish to bring your own headphones.
- Our play area for younger children is closed for the time being.
- Toilets and baby change facilities are limited to one support bubble at a time. Please queue outside in a socially distanced manner if they are busy.
- The lifts are also limited to one support bubble at a time.
- Our cafes will have reduced tables and seating.
- Our picnic areas will not be available. If the weather is being kind, we recommend the Harbourside as a scenic spot to eat. If not, our cafe serves a delicious range of food and drink.
Do I have to wear a face covering?
Yes, unless you are exempt.
You can remove your face covering when eating / drinking your purchased items in the cafe.
Can I book a group visit (6+ people) or a school visit?
The maximum number of tickets you can book is six. In line with government guidance we cannot accommodate groups larger than six or multi-group bookings.
We are not taking bookings for school or education visits at the moment. Instead, we have an online programme of webinars, assemblies and professional development for teachers. Find out more about our online programme.
If you would like to be kept up to date about our plans to re-open school bookings, please sign up to our teachers’ newsletter.
If you’re a group organiser and would like to receive details of when you can visit, contact [email protected].
What exhibitions will I be able to see?
The much-anticipated Vanguard | Bristol Street Art: The evolution of a global movement exhibition will open on 26 June.
The Colston Statue: What next? display will open on Friday 4 June in the Bristol Life gallery.
Will I be able to use the family play areas and interactives?
Our play area for younger children is closed for the time being.
Our interactive exhibits and touchscreens will remain closed to limit people’s contact with hard or shared surfaces. This includes the big green bus at M Shed.
Look out for QR codes so you can experience these objects from your mobile phone. You may also wish to bring your own headphones.
Will I be able to use the lockers?
No, the lockers are not in use for the time being.
Are you accepting cash payments?
Yes but contactless payments are preferred.
Can I just use the toilets / cafe / shop?
You need to pre-book a time slot in order to visit the shop.
You do not need to pre-book if you just want to use the cafe and/or toilets. People wishing to visit the cafe or toilets must do so from the cafe entrance on Museum Square. There is no access to the cafe from inside M Shed.