We use Google Analytics software to collect information about how you use www.bristolmuseums.org.uk. We do this to help us create a more useful and easy to use site. See our privacy statement for more information.
|_utma||Determines the number of unique visitors to the site||Two years|
|_utmb||This cookie is used to establish and continue a user session on our site||30 minutes|
|_utmc||This works with _utmb to calculate when you close your browser||When you close your browser|
|_utmz||This provides information about how you reached the site (eg from another website or a search engine)||Six months|
We use youtube on some of our pages to embed video and when you visit one of these pages youtube use the following cookies.
|_use_hitbox||This is a randomly generated number that identifies your browser||When you close your browser|
|VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE||Lets Youtube count the views of embedded Youtube videos||Nine months|
If you find any other cookies on this site that are not listed above, please let us know at email@example.com
Bristol Culture, as part of Bristol City Council, is committed to providing a website that’s accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of technology or ability.
The site has been designed to adhere to best practice as set by the web accessibility principles by Bristol City Council by following W3C standards.
Should you have any suggestion to improve the accessibility of the site, please let us know.
There are a number of steps we have taken to address accessibility needs that are detailed below:
The site uses Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to control all presentation and layout so that content is well structured and easily accessible for assistive devices.
All font sizes are relative, with the exception of graphical text which is used only minimally. Text size can be increased or decreased in your web browser by following these steps:
- Open your preferred web browser (applies to Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome)
- Hold down the Ctrl button on your keyboard and press the plus (+) key
- You will find that this will enlarge the text, to enlarge again repeat the procedure
- Keep repeating until the text is enlarged to your requirements
- If you need to make the text smaller press ctrl on your keyboard and the minus ( – ) key
- Open your preferred web browser (applies to Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome)
- Hold down the Apple key on your keyboard and press the plus (+) key
- You will find that this will enlarge the text, to enlarge again repeat the procedure
- Keep repeating until the text is enlarged to your requirements If you need to make the text smaller press the Apple key on your keyboard and the minus ( – ) key
All images used for non aesthetic reasons have descriptive alternative text.
Content across the site has been written and formatted to make it as accessible as possible. This includes:
- The use of semantic headings which are descriptive and used to highlight sections of text
- Clear and easy to understand language
- Meaningful text used for all links
- No information is conveyed exclusively through the use of colour
Wherever possible we have designed pages and chosen colours to be accessible to colour-blind users. Where contrast is limited, this has been restricted to purely decorative content.
There are a number of PDF documents available for download across the site. You can find out more about how to configure the free Adobe Reader software to obtain greater access to PDF files by visiting the Adobe site.
Our retail shops sell £5, £10 or £20 gift vouchers and can be used at Bristol Museum & Art Gallery or M Shed. The gift voucher may be used to buy any item from our shop, cafe or event/exhibition run by Bristol Museums, Galleries & Archives. We cannot give you change when you make a purchase with a gift voucher. At present we do not accept gift vouchers for third party run events. Gift vouchers cannot be used online – you can buy on the phone and collect.
Cancellation and refunds
Events and exhibitions
Your ticket(s) cannot be refunded or exchanged. In exceptional circumstances an exchange may be offered at the discretion of the Duty Officer.
Should cancellation of the event be necessary, we will attempt to contact all customers who have booked tickets in advance to arrange exchange or refund of tickets. This contact will be in the form of email, so customers are advised to check their email inbox before visiting the Museum to avoid an unnecessary journey should an event be cancelled. If an alternative visit date cannot be arranged, we will then refund the full price paid, including the payment processing fees, to customers.
If you would like to change the date of a visit after your booking has already been confirmed, we are happy to arrange another suitable date for an administration fee of £35.
If you cancel a confirmed booking within 21 days of your booked date, you will be charged the full amount. Cancellations with 22 days or more notice of the booked date will incur an administrative charge of £35.’
Taking photos at the museums
We’d love to see your photos, share them with us on Instagram: @bristolmuseums
Please be aware photography for your own personal record is allowed throughout the museums except where indicated by this sign:
We do not permit the use of tripods in any areas of the museums unless prior permission has been granted. Please contact us with your request stating the following:
- Enquiry Type: Anything Else
- Comment or Enquiry: Please start your comment with ‘Documentation Team – Photography Request’ followed by:
- Your contact details
- The full details of your request.
We will endeavor to respond to your enquiry within 10 working days.
Prior permission is required for publication or commercial use of any kind, including websites.
If you would like to use an image from our collection, this can be done via the Bridgeman Images website.
Text to pay (premium SMS) terms and conditions
The amount you have selected (either £1, £2, £3, £5 or £10) plus one standard rate text message will be deducted from your available credit time if you are on a pre-pay (pay-as-you-go) phone service, or, if you are on a pay-monthly phone service the payment will appear on your monthly bill.
If you are not the bill payer, you must get permission from the bill payer before making a payment.
In the event you have insufficient funds or credit the payment will not be made. If this occurs you will not be eligible for a refund of the standard network rate charged by your mobile network provider.
We will not use your mobile phone contact details for any marketing purposes and it will not be shared with any third parties.
If you have a query about the Text to Pay (Premium SMS) service we offer please call us on 0117 922 3571. Alternatively, you can write to us at: Audience Development and Research, Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, Queens Road, Bristol BS8 1RL.
Bristol Culture is registered with the Premium Rate Services regulator, Phone Pay Plus. Our registration number is: ORG837-51289-03976
Bristol Museums Teacher Survey – free workshop prize draw terms and conditions
- This competition is open to teachers aged 18 years or over, with the exception of employees of the Promoter, their families, agents and anyone else connected with this promotion.
- Entries must be received by 23:59 on 30th September. The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach the Promoter by the relevant closing date for any reason. Proof of posting or sending is not proof of receipt. Automatically generated entries or entries via agents or third parties are invalid and shall not be considered. Entries become the property of the Promoter and are not returned.
- To enter simply fill in the survey, and submit your answers alongside your email address, then sign up to receive the teacher newsletter using the link provided.
- All valid and correctly completed entries received by the closing date will be entered into a prize draw which will take place before 14th October. The first entry drawn at random will be the winner.
- The prize for the winner is a free class trip to The Georgian House Museum for up to 30 children, must be accompanied by adult supervisors. The prize does not include travel, parking or accommodation.
- Prizes are subject to availability. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the Promoter reserves the right (a) to substitute alternative prizes of equivalent or greater value and (b) in exceptional circumstances to amend or foreclose the promotion without notice. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The winner will be notified via email by 31st October 2018 or before. The winner must book their trip by 31st December 2018 and the trip must be carried out by 30th July 2019. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with these rules. The visit must take place
- To obtain details of the winner please email museumlearning.org.uk stating the name of the prize draw in the subject heading 4 weeks after the closing date.
- The Promoter will use any data submitted by entrants only for the purposes of running the prize draw, unless otherwise stated in the entry details. By entering this prize draw, all entrants consent to the use of their personal data by the Promoter for the purposes of the administration of this prize draw and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented.
- The winners agree to take part in reasonable post event publicity and to the use of their names and photographs in such publicity.
- Promoter may disqualify any entrant whose entry does not comply with these terms and conditions (in Promoter’s sole opinion) or who, in Promoter’s sole determination, has acted in a manner that is fraudulent, dishonest or unjust to other entrants including, without limitation, tampering with the operation of the prize draw, manipulating or rigging votes, hacking, deceiving, cheating or by harassing or threatening other entrants or a representative of Promoter.
- The Promoter is Bristol Museum & Art Gallery, Bristol
- By entering the prize draw each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- These terms and conditions are governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.