Your privacy is important to us and we take great care to protect it.
You can visit our website without giving us your personal data. As part of Bristol City Council we use this privacy statement detailing what we do with your personal data.
If you agree to share your personal details you still keep your rights given by the Data Protection Act 1998.
Your service from the council will not be affected if you decide not to allow your data to be shared in this way.
What we do with your personal data
We collect your personal details when you fill in a form on our websites or send us an email. When you give us your information, you also agree to:
- Allow your details to be used for other council services and combined into one single record containing your basic details and information about your transactions. This will help you because you won’t have to repeat the same basic information all the time. It also helps us to deal with your requests more quickly and tailor our services to meet your needs.
- Allow us to give your details to contractors who work for us to deal with your request for the council. These contractors use the same security standards as the council.
- Allow us to share your information with other councils and organisations. You will be told about this or asked to agree to this first, if we decide to share services with these organisations.
- We may also give your data to the Audit Commission and other bodies so they can use it to match against computer records held by other public bodies. This data is usually your personal information. Data matching allows them to spot potentially fraudulent claims and payments. Find out about the Audit Commission, National Fraud Initiative and other data matching initiatives.
- We may also share your information without asking you if:
- the law says we must
- there is a risk of serious harm or threat to life.
We will always ask you before we use it for any other reason or for marketing.