Here you can find information about jobs and volunteering at Bristol Museums, Galleries & Archives.
Our jobs and paid internships are advertised on Bristol City Council’s jobs board.
Volunteer Engagement Coordinator (freelance)
We are looking to recruit someone on a freelance basis to develop and deliver a volunteer engagement programme for upcoming family exhibition Pliosaurus! (17 June 2017 – 7 January 2018 at Bristol Museum & Art Gallery).
If you are interested in applying for this role, please download the job specification (PDF) and apply with CV and covering letter by Sunday 26 February.
If you’re looking to learn new skills, have some spare time and are over 16, we may have a volunteering opportunity for you.
Contact us to register your interest and receive updates about new opportunities. We might ask you to come along to an informal interview before starting.
Volunteering roles can be short or long term and include getting involved in our events and exhibitions or seeing what it takes to run a museum from behind the scenes.
Current volunteering opportunities
- Visitor experience volunteers. This long term role is all about inspiring and helping our visitors in exhibitions and events, mainly at Bristol Museum & Art Gallery and M Shed.
- Visitor research volunteers. Help us to find out who our visitors are and what they think about our museums.
- Volunteer restoration assistants. Is industrial history or engineering your thing? We’re looking for people to help restore our working exhibits at M Shed.
- Railway volunteers. Love railways? Enjoy chatting to people? We’re after your help with operating the Bristol Harbour Railway at weekends.
- Boat crew volunteers. Join our team of fantastic volunteers who operate M Shed’s historic boats on weekends: Mayflower, Pyronaut and John King.
There may be other volunteering opportunities – please contact us to find out.
We work together with partner organisations across the city on creative projects to engage and inspire young people in arts and heritage, and help to develop skills for their future career choices. If you are a youth leader and would like to know more, please contact us.
Wow we had so many applications! Thank you and well done if you applied – so many interesting people with great ideas!
We are working through them all, and will respond to every applicant within the next three weeks.
We’re unable to take on work experience pupils, students or anyone else looking for a work placement.