Do you have what it takes to be an archaeologist? Bristol Museum & Art Gallery will help you develop the skills every archaeologist needs with our in-school ‘Archaeology in Action’ learning programme.
Take part in hands-on tasks to find out how archaeologists learn about the past by studying what’s buried beneath our feet, with these 3 simple steps:
1. Use our pre-learning resources to prepare for our school visit
- A glossary of terms used by archaeologists
- An archaeological period timeline activity
2. Discover how evidence is gathered about life in the past during our in-school Archaeology in Action class workshop and school assembly experience.
During class workshops pupils will:
- Examine how physical evidence helps us construct the past
- Find out about different materials and investigate which will survive over time
- Learn about how we gather evidence using scientific and practical tools
- Interpret objects found by archaeologists to make conclusions
- Find-out about different types of archaeologists and what they do
- Try out field-walking using the school hall
- Handle real archaeological finds from different archaeological periods
Suitable for: year 5-7
Duration: 90 minutes
Group size: Up to 35 pupils per class
During a school assembly children will:
- Find out what an archaeologist does
- Play the game ‘is it archaeology’?
- Discover the tools and equipment needed by an archaeologist
- Dress-up as an archaeologist
- See and handle real archaeological finds from different periods
Suitable for: year 3 – 7
Group size: whole of ks2 or year 7
3. Take the learning further using our teacher-led resources:
- Fabulous finds activity: What are finds and how do you record them? (includes a loan box with real archaeological finds)
- How to look without digging – information for teachers
Workshop for 1 class – £160. Add a 30min assembly for only £40
Workshops for 2 classes – £280. Add a 30min assembly for only £40
Workshops for 3 classes – £400. FREE school assembly
School assembly only – £90
Complimentary resources! Our pre and post-visit teaching resources are free for you to use in your school, when booking a workshop.
Learning enquiry form
Please complete this form to start the booking process.