Visiting with the family? We’ve plenty for younger visitors to enjoy.
We love welcoming families to our museum.
We have special spaces and activities designed especially for you and your children, and family friendly facilities to make your visit easier.
For a full programme of activities for
families across all our museums visit our What’s On page.
Around the museum
We have a number of activity areas to encourage playful learning and there are also handling objects and “Please touch” labels across the museum.
Curiosity – under fives activity area (ground floor)
Tell stories in our crystal cave, act out a performance on stage, play with puppets, interactives, games and more! Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Please note: on our printed museum map it does say under sevens are admitted here but we have found that over fives can be a bit boisterous in a space which is more suited to very young children.
Dinosaur area (first floor)
Create and draw your favourite dinosaurs or fossils and learn about these amazing creatures from our displays, interactives and dinosaur library.
Amazing Animal Adaptations – World Wildlife (first floor)
Five to eleven year olds will love our new, fun, interactive family activity area where you can find out about how animals have adapted in amazing ways to live in their environment.
Compare your hand with a hand cast of a real gorilla, try and spot the camouflaged animals and add to our display of your favourite amazing animals. You will also be able to see our collection of wild animals in the World Wildlife Gallery and see our famous gorilla, Alfred.
Other galleries to explore
Other galleries that children love to visit are Egypt, British Wildlife, Sea Dragons and Geology. And don’t forget to visit our ever popular Romany wagon on the first floor.
Family friendly facilities
- Baby changing facilities on ground floor
- A free picnic room on the first floor during weekends and holidays (ask when you arrive)
- Child friendly menu and free baby food heating and high chairs in the café
- Pushchair and buggy park
- Lift access to most galleries (please ask our front of house staff for help accessing Sea Dragons)
- Breast feeding friendly throughout – Bristol Museum & Art Gallery is part of the designated ‘Welcomes Breast Feeding’ scheme and has a dedicated space for breast feeding available on request
- Lockers available on ground floor including extra wide ones for folding buggies.
A member of staff will be happy to help you with anything you need.
To find out how to get here, please see our Getting here page.