We are in our third lockdown but there are lots of ways to stay connected with us at home.
From online talks to study days and exhibitions – over the coming weeks we hope to inspire you and brighten up the winter months with fun activities and amazing collections.
Lunar New Year
Celebrate the Lunar New Year with our online festival of music, dance, talks, craft activities, storytelling, meditation and more: Lunar New Year Festival: Year of the Ox
LGBT History Month
February is LGBT History Month which aims to raise awareness of, combat prejudice against, and celebrate LGBTQ+ people and history. Check out our series of talks to mark the month.
Book a free online talk
Our series of free online talks and lectures continue, with a busy and varied programme to enjoy:
Bristol Museum & Art Gallery
- 10 February: Archaeology online: European witch-hunting in the World context
- 11 February: Winter lecture: Colour in science and art
- 18 February: Late lunch talk: Highlights of the Chinese collection
- 22 February: Traditional Chinese Herb and Culture Garden in Bristol
- 4 February: Late lunch talk: 21st Century Kids – Bristol through their eyes
- 18 February: Personal devotion in late medieval Bristol: The case of Isabel Ruddock
- 18 March – Good Old Knowle – The wrestling craze in Bristol and the South West c.1900
- 15 April – Reading the ‘Book of Skin’ – the life and death of John Horwood
Whether you are new to Instagram or a regular poster – join us here where we share fantastic images of our collections and buildings.
Browse through online versions of recent exhibitions at Bristol Museum and M Shed including Japanese Prints and Being Human.
Exploring our collections
Our first collections were brought together more than 200 years ago and we’ve been adding to them ever since. From art to archaeology, history to industry, the natural and the wider world, they are amongst the UK’s finest with many recognised as nationally and internationally important. You can search our collections online.
If you’re particularly interested in art then check out Art UK. It’s the online home for every public art collection in the UK, including ours.
Relive the experience of our art galleries online by exploring interactive 360 photographs.
Resources for home learning
You might not be able to visit the museum but the Learning team have collected activities and information for you about their favourite history topics including ancient Egypt, Kings Weston Roman Villa and Bristol’s Black history.
They’re also hosting Home Educator webinars:
- 12 January: Home Educator webinar: Bristol and chocolate
- 25 January: Home Educator webinar: Anglo-Saxons & Bristol
- 11 February: Home Educator webinar: What can pots tell us about life in ancient Greece?
- 17 February: Half-term workshop for young people: Animation in a day
- 19 February: Half-term workshop for young people: Art in a day
- 1 March: Free Primary Drama teacher CPD
- 1-15 February: Archaeology study sessions: Treasure and hoards
- 1-22 March: Archaeology study sessions: early prehistoric art in the British Isles
Bag a bargain from the online shop
From arty coffee mugs to champagne truffles, designer jewellery to Christmas dinosaurs, snap up some exclusive bargains from Bristol Museum’s online Winter Sale. All purchases support the museums. Shop the winter sale.