Take a steam train ride on Bristol Harbour Railway from M Shed. The train will be pulled by the locomotive Portbury.
Dates for 2019
- Monday 19 – Monday 26 August
- Saturday 7 – Sunday 8 September
- Saturday 14 – Sunday 15 September
- Saturday 28 – Sunday 29 September
- Saturday 12 – Sunday 13 October
- Saturday 26 – Sunday 27 October
- Saturday 2 – Sunday 3 November
Bristol Harbour Railway was built by the Great Western Railway in the 1870s and extended in the 1900s. After a century as a goods railway, it was handed over to the museum and has run as a heritage railway ever since. The railway runs on the quayside between M Shed and the ss Great Britain or alongside the New Cut to Vauxhall footbridge, giving a choice of scenery on alternate routes.
Our two Bristol-built steam locomotives, Henbury and Portbury, served their working lives on the docks railway system at Avonmouth. The wagons are types once commonly seen on the docks at Avonmouth and here in the old City Docks.