Take a steam train ride on Bristol Harbour Railway from M Shed. The train will be pulled by the locomotive Portbury.
Dates for 2019
- Saturday 30 – Sunday 31 March
- Saturday 13 – Sunday 14 April
- Saturday 20 – Monday 22 April
- Saturday 4 – Monday 6 May
- Saturday 25 – Monday 27 May
- Saturday 8 – Sunday 9 June
- Saturday 15 – Sunday 16 June
- Saturday 29 – Sunday 30 June
Bristol Harbour Railway was built by the Great Western Railway in the 1870s and extended in the 1900s. After a century as a goods railway, it was handed over to the museum and has run as a heritage railway ever since. For 2018 the railway runs on the quayside between M Shed and the ss Great Britain or alongside the New Cut to Vauxhall footbridge, giving a choice of scenery on alternate routes.
Our two Bristol-built steam locomotives, Henbury and Portbury, served their working lives on the docks railway system at Avonmouth. The wagons are types once commonly seen on the docks at Avonmouth and here in the old City Docks.