Take a steam train ride on Bristol Harbour Railway from M Shed. The train will be pulled by the locomotive Portbury.
Dates for 2018
- Saturday 21 – Sunday 22 July
- Saturday 4 – Sunday 5 August
- Saturday 25 – Monday 27 August
- Saturday 8 – Sunday 9 September
- Saturday 22 – Sunday 23 September
- Saturday 13 – Sunday 14 October
- Saturday 27 – Sunday 28 October
- Saturday 3 – Sunday 4 November
Bristol Harbour Railway was built by the Great Western Railway in the 1870s and extended in the 1900s. After a century as a goods railway, it was handed over to the museum and has run as a heritage railway ever since. For 2018 the railway runs on the quayside between M Shed and the ss Great Britain or alongside the New Cut to Vauxhall footbridge, giving a choice of scenery on alternate routes.
Our two Bristol-built steam locomotives, Henbury and Portbury, served their working lives on the docks railway system at Avonmouth. The wagons are types once commonly seen on the docks at Avonmouth and here in the old City Docks.