Take a steam train ride on Bristol Harbour Railway from M Shed. The train will be pulled by the locomotive Portbury.
Dates for 2017
- Saturday 24 – Sunday 25 June
- Saturday 8 – Sunday 9 July
- Saturday 22 – Sunday 23 July
- Saturday 29 – Sunday 30 July
- Saturday 12 – Sunday 13 August
- Saturday 26 – Sunday 27 August
- Saturday 9 – Sunday 10 September
- Saturday 23 – Sunday 24 September
- Saturday 7 – Sunday 8 October
- Saturday 21 – Sunday 22 October
- Saturday 28 – Sunday 29 October
Bristol Harbour Railway was built by the Great Western Railway in the 1870s and extended in the 1900s. After a century as a goods railway, it was handed over to the museum and has run as a heritage railway ever since. It runs between M Shed and the ss Great Britain on the dockside and from M Shed to Ashton Bridge along the New Cut, giving a choice of scenery on alternate routes.
Our two Bristol-built steam locomotives, Henbury and Portbury, served their working lives on the docks railway system at Avonmouth. The wagons are types once commonly seen on the docks at Avonmouth and here in the old City Docks.
Read more about Henbury and Portbury over on the Working Exhibits section.