Take a steam train ride on Bristol Harbour Railway from M Shed. The train will be pulled by the locomotive Portbury.
Dates for 2019
- Saturday 4 – Monday 6 May
- Saturday 25 – Monday 27 May
- Saturday 8 – Sunday 9 June
- Saturday 15 – Sunday 16 June
- Saturday 29 – Sunday 30 June
- Saturday 6 – Sunday 7 July
- Saturday 20 – Sunday 21 July (Bristol Harbour Festival)
- Saturday 27 – Sunday 28 July
- Saturday 10 – Sunday 11 August (Have A Go weekend)
- Monday 19 – Monday 26 August
- Saturday 7 – Sunday 8 September
- Saturday 14 – Sunday 15 September
- Saturday 12 – Sunday 13 October
- Saturday 26 – Sunday 27 September
- Saturday 2 – Sunday 3 November
Bristol Harbour Railway was built by the Great Western Railway in the 1870s and extended in the 1900s. After a century as a goods railway, it was handed over to the museum and has run as a heritage railway ever since. The railway runs on the quayside between M Shed and the ss Great Britain or alongside the New Cut to Vauxhall footbridge, giving a choice of scenery on alternate routes.
Our two Bristol-built steam locomotives, Henbury and Portbury, served their working lives on the docks railway system at Avonmouth. The wagons are types once commonly seen on the docks at Avonmouth and here in the old City Docks.