LGBTQ+: Freedom to be yourself.
Join us in a celebration of community, call to action and 25 years of Freedom Youth. This special day of activities will discuss human rights, intersectionality, and history and heritage for LGBTQ+ people in Bristol and overseas.
Programmed by Freedom Youth and involving local and international activists, this will be an opportunity to reflect on the past, consider the present and act on the future.
- 12pm – 12.15pm: Welcome and launch
- 12.15pm – 12.45pm: Panel discussion about 25 Years of Freedom Youth. Volunteers and
members share their experiences throughout the years and hopes for the next 25
years of Freedom.
- 12.45pm – 1.15pm: LGBTQ+ Story Slam. An opportunity for community participation and audience members to explore what community really means…in the past, now and in the future.
- 1.15pm – 1.30pm: A screening of prominent LGBTQ+ local activists followed by a short talk
on Bristol’s LGBTQ+ Voice and Influence panel and participation in the city.
- 1.30pm – 2.45pm: Ice and Fire ‘This is Who I Am’. Powerful verbatim testimonies of LGBTQ+ refugees and people seeking asylum in the UK.
- 2.45pm – 4pm: Panel discussion led by local and international LGBTQ+ activists on past, present and future freedom for LGBTQ+ people. What now and next? How can individuals make change and collaborate? This discussion will be facilitated by Dancing Queer, Shrouk El Attar – awarded UN Woman of the Year and chosen by the BBC as one of the 100 Most Influential Women in the World in 2018.
- 4pm – 4.30pm: Short performances and story sharing invited on the topics of freedom, justice and rights by local artists and community members
Make history area (foyer)
- Have a go activities including pin badge making, chill out space, info and networking.
LGBTQ+ denotes lesbian, gay, bi, trans, questioning and ‘+’ to encompass all diverse genders and sexualities including and not limited to asexual, agender, non-binary, fluid, pansexual, queer and more.