Join us for a celebration of lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans (LGBT) people’s lives, past and present, with talks and stalls in partnership with Outstories Bristol.
In addition we’ll be showing the film, Talking LGBT+ Bristol, made in 2018 by Bristol 24/7 and Tusko Films.
Take the opportunity to pick up an LGBT+ audio tour of M Shed on one of our iPods created by live artist Tom Marshman.
The talks will be in the Studio. The running order is as follows:
- 12pm – Gemma Brace: Wake Up and Dream, an introduction to the life of theatre designer, Oliver Messel, illustrated with items from the University of Bristol Theatre Collection.
- 12:30pm – Elissa O’Connell of Feminist Archive South will talk about using feminist and LGBT+ history to explore solidarity and inclusivity in activism then and now.
- 1pm – Dr Edson Burton, founder of Kiki Bristol, will speak about Decolonising Sexuality (LGBTQ+ in Black History)
- 1:30pm – Lunch break & Talking LGBT+ Bristol
- 2pm – Rachel Rose Reid, performance story teller, will be in conversation with Cheryl Morgan, talking about The Romance of Silence, a French Medieval story with a non-binary person as the main character.
- 2:30pm – Max Carocci on Native American Two-Spirits: Alternative Histories of Gender and Sexuality.
- 3pm – Lisa Power on Founding Stonewall – what happened? A personal memory of the late 80s from Section 28 to the start of Stonewall’s rise.
- 3.30pm – Stephen Williams former MP for Bristol West will be in conversation with James Higgins of Bristol 24/7, talking about his experiences as an openly gay MP.
Dr Nathaniel Adam Tobias Coleman who was originally due to speak at 1pm is unable to attend due to illness.
Stalls / Pop-up exhibitions
There’ll be a variety of community stalls in the M Shed first floor foyer. These include:
- OutStories Bristol
- Bristol Pride
- LGBT Bristol
- Off the Record
- Historic England
- Exeter University, Rethinking Sexology Project
- Action for Children