Take a trip on the harbour on the John King – a 1935 diesel tug built to tow cargo ships from Bristol City Docks to the mouth of the River Avon.
Dates for 2019
- Saturday 27 – Sunday 28 April
- Saturday 18 – Sunday 19 May
- Saturday 22 – Sunday 23 June
- Saturday 20 – Sunday 21 July
- Saturday 17 – Sunday 18 August
- Saturday 28 – Sunday 29 September
- Saturday 19 – Sunday 20 October
Built by the last major Bristol shipbuilder, John King spent 35 years towing on the river. She also had special duties, which included supplying drinking water to ships in dry dock, assisting at ship launchings and putting vessels into dry dock and occasionally pulling grounded vessels back into deep water.
But as trade to the Bristol docks declined and motor ships became less reliant on tugs, John King’s workload gradually disappeared. Eventually she was bought by Bristol Museums and fully restored to her former glory.
Read more about John King over on the Working Exhibits section.
Image credit: Neil Phillips