To celebrate the opening of Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2015 at M Shed, we’re running our own mini competition for all you photography (and wildlife) enthusiasts.
Send us your best wildlife photos over on Instagram and you could win some fantastic prizes!
Entries are welcome from anyone of any age and level of experience. You may already have exotic photos from scuba diving or safari trips. If not, there’s plenty of time to get busy with the camera in the local park, in your own garden, or even from your kitchen window! Some of the most fascinating images in this year’s Wildlife Photographer of the Year selection were taken close to home.
You’ll find oodles of inspiration in the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition and on the Natural History Museum website. If you don’t know where to start, keep an eye on our Instagram account to see how other people approach it – or come into M Shed and browse the other entries on our interactive desktop in the foyer.
We’re even offering a helping hand with two free drop-in Wildlife Phone Photography sessions on 21 January. The perfect opportunity to find out how to get the most out of your smartphone or tablet camera.
Your photos might tell a story with an environmental conscience, capture a rare moment of animal behaviour, demonstrate your technical flair, or simply highlight the beauty of the natural world.
If you took your photo in or around Bristol, why not also record it to help track wildlife in the area? Send it to Bristol Regional Environmental Records Centre (BRERC). You’ll need the name of the species and details of where and when you saw it.
Post your photos on Instagram, using #WPYbristol and tagging @bristolmuseums.
- You will need to create your own Instagram account if you don’t already have one.
- The images you upload must be your own photos
- They must feature the natural world – this includes animal life, plant life, and landscapes
- Winners will need to be able to get to Bristol to collect their prizes
One lucky winner will receive a fantastic package of Wildlife Photographer of the Year merchandise, and two runners-up will each receive a copy of the 2015 Portfolio book worth £25.
Each week our favourites will be displayed on digital screens in public areas of M Shed.
Good luck and happy snapping!
Terms and conditions
- The Wildlife Photo competition is open now and closes at 5pm on 3 April 2016
- The winner and runners-up will be selected and informed by 11 April 2016
- The competition is not open to employees of Bristol City Council or their families
- By entering the competition, you give Bristol City Council permission to show your images on screens in the museum
- By entering the competition you guarantee that the images submitted are your own and that you hold the copyright
Wildlife Photographer of the Year runs until 10 April at M Shed. See the website or What’s On guide for details of related events. If you’re stuck for gift ideas, how about a gift voucher that can be used for merchandise or for entry to the exhibition?
Main image: © David Doubilet (United States) Turtle Flight