Have a go at driving our steam train, Portbury and one of the iconic electric cranes outside M Shed.
Experience the sights, sounds and smells of a steam engine with a 20 minute driving experience on Portbury followed by a 20 minute session in one of our cranes.
Our one-to-one tuition gives you the thrill of being the driver whilst testing your skill in controlling the hook.
After taking both machines for a spin, you’ll receive a certificate of achievement.
Timeslots are available every 40 minutes. Please report to a member of staff 10 minutes before your allocated timeslot at the Brakevan on the quayside adjacent to the museum entrance.
- You must be agile enough to climb the last three steps into the crane cab.
- Be over 18 years of age.
- Wear a face covering where possible.
- Be able to obey the instructions of the driver.
- The crane cab is reasonably high so this may not be suitable for people with a fear of heights.
- The steam engine can be a hot, dirty, oily environment. Please wear suitable clothing and shoes. Trousers are preferred. No open toed sandals. Gloves and an overall jacket will be supplied.
- We reserve the right to refuse entry to unsuitable persons (under the influence of drugs or alcohol)
Tickets are £50 per person.
Timeslots are available every 40 minutes. Please book in advance to secure your slot.