A celebration of Bristol’s maritime past with events for all ages at M Shed, Underfall Yard and ss Great Britain.
This year, the Docks Heritage Weekend celebrations will focus on celebrating the 40th anniversary of Portbury and the 140th anniversary of Avonmouth Dock.
Go up in the cranes, take a trip around the harbour on the John King diesel tug, experience life as a docker and learn the techniques of cargo handling.
There are a limited number of places on coach tours to Avonmouth and Portbury (leaving from
M Shed), which must be booked in advance.
Travel in style between the venues by jumping aboard a dedicated ferry or vintage bus for just £1.50 per journey.
Events at M Shed
- Print your very own map of Bristol docks
- Watch cargo handling demonstrations
- Visit the Fairbairn steam crane
- Visit an electric crane (charges apply)
- Take a trip on the tug John King (charges apply)
- Go back in time and watch historic films about the port
- Find out about Bristol’s modern port
Events at Underfall Yard
- See demonstrations of traditional boatyard skills
- Try your hand at nautical knots
- Watch the pumps that powered a port running throughout the weekend
- Go behind the scenes in the magnificent machinery workshops
- See the Pyronaut, Bristol’s former fire boat, out on the Patent Slip
- Meet Bristol Maritime Academy and be with a chance to win a Powerboat Level 2 course worth £285
Find out more about activities at Underfall Yard.
Events at ss Great Britain
- Visit the Brunel Institute (12pm – 3pm) and touch fragments of the ship’s hull and hear how the ss Great Britain is now conserved in her original Dry Dock.
Find out more about activities at ss Great Britain.
Part of Bristol Family Arts Festival.
M Shed would like to thank Event Sponsor The Bristol Port Company.