A celebration of Bristol’s maritime past with events for all ages at M Shed and Underfall Yard.
Go up in the cranes, take a trip around the harbour on the John King diesel tug, experience life as a docker and learn the techniques of cargo handling as dramatic performances bring the story alive.
Travel in style between M Shed and Underfall Yard by jumping aboard a dedicated ferry or vintage bus for just £1.50 per journey.
This year, the Docks Heritage Weekend celebrations will focus on the 60th anniversary of the first ever container ship and the 50th anniversary of Bristol’s first container berth at M Shed.
Find out how Bristol is recycling shipping containers to create brand new restaurants and work spaces and explore the vital role shipping containers play in protecting Bristol.
Events at M Shed
- Enjoy dramatic interludes from Show of Strength Theatre Company
- Print your very own map of Bristol docks
- See cargo handling demonstrations
- Visit the Fairbairn steam crane
- Visit an electric crane (charges apply)
- Take a trip on the tug John King (charges apply)
- Go back in time and watch historic films about the port
Events at Underfall Yard
- Watch the pumps that powered a port running throughout the weekend
- Try your hand at nautical knots and rope work
- See demonstrations of traditional skills
- Go behind the scenes in the magnificent Victorian Workshops
- Get creative with arts activities for all ages
- Explore the importance of Underfall Yard’s very own shipping container
M Shed would like to thank Event Sponsor The Bristol Port Company.