Docks Heritage Weekend is a celebration of Bristol’s maritime past with activities for all ages at M Shed, Underfall Yard and SS Great Britain.
There will be events and activities at all three sites, including opportunities to visit M Shed’s iconic cranes and hear about their working life.
Watch re-enactments of cargo handling on the quayside, take a tour of the Albion dock at SS Great Britain and much more! A great day out for the whole family.
At M Shed:
- Catch a ride along the harbour on a vintage bus
- Visit a Steam Locomotive
- Take a trip on the Electric Cranes and the John King tug
- Enjoy a performance of a 1950s working dockside
- Print historic Port of Bristol maps in printing workshops in Studio 1
- View historic films about the Port of Bristol in Studio 2
- Experience a live performance by Heartwood Chorus (Sunday only)
- Visit The Bristol Port Company stand and see what the modern Port does (Saturday only)
At Underfall Yard:
- Experience live demonstrations of 19th and early 20th century machinery
- Walk through an original Victorian docks workshop
- Enjoy heritage craft demonstrations of blacksmithing, rope-making and sand casting
- Support Underfall Yard’s Fire Recovery Fund
At SS Great Britain:
- Go on a guided tour of Albion Dock (Saturday only). Find out more on SS Great Britain’s website
With thanks to event sponsors The Bristol Port Company.