Take a steam train ride on Bristol Harbour Railway from M Shed. The train will be pulled by the locomotive Portbury.
Dates for 2018
- Saturday 24 – Sunday 25 March
- Saturday 31 March – Monday 2 April
- Saturday 14 – Sunday 15 April
- Saturday 5 – Monday 7 May
- Saturday 26 – Monday 28 May
- Saturday 9 – Sunday 10 June
- Saturday 23 – Sunday 24 June
- Saturday 7 – Sunday 8 July
- Saturday 21 – Sunday 22 July
- Saturday 4 – Sunday 5 August
- Saturday 25 – Monday 27 August
- Saturday 8 – Sunday 9 September
- Saturday 22 – Sunday 23 September
- Saturday 13 – Sunday 14 October
- Saturday 27 – Sunday 28 October
- Saturday 3 – Sunday 4 November
Bristol Harbour Railway was built by the Great Western Railway in the 1870s and extended in the 1900s. After a century as a goods railway, it was handed over to the museum and has run as a heritage railway ever since. For 2018 the railway runs on the quayside between M Shed and the ss Great Britain or alongside the New Cut to Vauxhall footbridge, giving a choice of scenery on alternate routes.
Our two Bristol-built steam locomotives, Henbury and Portbury, served their working lives on the docks railway system at Avonmouth. The wagons are types once commonly seen on the docks at Avonmouth and here in the old City Docks.
Bristol Harbour Railway 40th Anniversary
In addition to the train rides, on Saturday 24 March Bristol Harbour Railway marks its 40th anniversary in style with cake and a brass band to celebrate and everyone is invited! 🎉
Celebrations will take place from 1pm with the Lydney Town band playing on the train from 2:30pm.
Read more about Henbury and Portbury over on the Working Exhibits section.