The transatlantic slave trade lasted a relatively short time in Bristol’s history as a trading port. But the impact the trade had on the city in the 18th century remains evident today. During this workshop, your students will investigate objects and historic documents to explore peoples’ attitudes towards the slave trade and how Bristol was changed by its involvement.
The students will:
- Interrogate source materials
- Take part in a discussion about what the people of Bristol believed about the Transatlantic Slave Trade
- Investigate four themes relating to the divisions caused by the Transatlantic Slave Trade:
- Shipping and trade
- The plantations
- The abolition campaign
A free one-hour self-guided gallery activity is also included, giving your class the opportunity to explore the M Shed galleries and examine the long-lasting impact the trade had on Bristol.
Suitable for: Year 7–10
Duration: 1 hour
Group size: Up to 35 pupils – you can book more than one session
Planning on having a picnic as part of your visit? Free use of our lunch room is included in the cost of your session.
Teaching resource pack
Included in the cost of the workshop you will receive a Bristol & the Transatlantic Slave Trade resource pack. This pack of information and images will aid your students’ learning about Bristol’s involvement in the trade. Each pack contains:
- A resource booklet and CD of images
- An A1 poster of the ‘triangular trade’ detailing slaving voyages from Bristol
- A Transatlantic Slave Trade City Trail and accompanying class activity
- A Sugar Trail around The Georgian House Museum
If you would like to buy extra copies of the resource pack, the City Trail or Sugar Trail please contact us.
New: Loan box
Suitable for Key Stage 3, our loan boxes contain real and replica museum objects linked with the Transatlantic Slave Trade. Objects relate to West African culture before the slave trade, trade between Europe and Africa, life on the plantation, the Abolition movement, and the legacy of the Transatlantic Slave Trade. Please contact us for a more detailed description of objects on loan.
Loan boxes can be hired at £80 per 2 weeks, with up to 2 additional weeks at £60 per week.
Learning enquiry form
Please complete this form to start the booking process.