Chinese New Year is almost here! Celebrate this amazing culture and 2019 Year of the Pig with our fantastic Chinese New Year session!
Saturday 26th January 2019
A hands-on object handling and creative session where children will learn how to celebrate Chinese New Year.
Suitable for: Brownie, Rainbow, Cub and Beaver Groups aged 5-10
Duration: 60 minutes
Group size: Up to 35 children
Ever wondered why fish are important to Chinese culture or how a Fu door sign brings good luck? Do you know what your zodiac animal is? In this session, children will learn about special Chinese food and good luck traditions, handle and investigate celebration artefacts, hear Chinese folk tales, and learn and write mandarin celebration words. After your session, look round our amazing Chinese collections. A limited number of workshops are available for Brownies, Rainbows, Cubs and Beavers to celebrate Chinese New Year.
Brownies, Rainbows, Cubs and Beavers will:
- Hear and participate in the story of Chinese New Year zodiac race
- Learn how to say ‘pig’ in mandarin – 2019 is the year of the pig!
- Take part in three carousel activities: a mystery object game, food celebrations for New Year’s Eve (including tasting) and make a red envelope for New Year’s Day
- Count 1-10 in Mandarin using body prompts
- discover the importance of the lion dance
*this session may be useful for World Cultures badge or similar
We have a limited number of workshops available for Brownies, Rainbows, Cubs and Beavers to celebrate Chinese New Year.
We advise that you book as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Two 60 minute workshops will run on Saturday 26th January 2019.
Timings: 10.15am – 11.15am OR 11.30am – 12.30pm.
Planning on having a picnic as part of your visit? Free use of our lunch room is included in the cost of your workshop. Please request this.