Discover the fascinating world of geology with activities investigating how rocks and soils are made. Discover what a geologist does, find out how plate tectonics shape our geological landscape, identify types of rocks using their features and make a soil profile to take home, all led by university experts.
The children will:
- Meet university experts
- Discover what a geologist does
- Find out how rocks are formed from minerals
- Discuss uses of rocks
- Work in groups, rotating through four different activities to find out how are rocks and soils are formed:
– Plate tectonics and igneous rock
– Make a soil profile
– Sedimentary rock
– Metamorphic rocks
- Ask and answer questions about rocks, soils, volcanoes and earthquakes
- Explore Bristol Museum’s geology gallery
Suitable for: Years 3-6
Duration: 90 minutes
Group size: Up to 35 pupils – you can book more than one session
We have two sessions available at 10.15am – 11.45am and 12.30pm – 2pm
Planning on having a picnic as part of your visit? Free use of our lunch room is included in the cost of your session.
Learning enquiry form
Please complete this form to start the booking process.