During a Dinosaur Takeover! school groups are immersed in the fascinating world of dinosaurs with a range of hands-on activities.
Year 2-4 children are given a unique opportunity to learn alongside experts from the University of Bristol as they investigate fantastic fossils, the tasks of a palaeontologist, reptile remains and dinosaur food chains. Roar-tastic!
- Work in groups, rotating through four different activities:
- Dinosaur dig: a mock excavation (complete with hard hats!)
- Food Chain Facts: investigation of dinosaurs’ eating habit
- Fantastic Fossils: handling a selection of plant and animal fossils
- Battle of the Dinosaurs: exploring exhibits to discover the fiercest, tallest, heaviest dinosaur
- Meet dinosaur experts from the University of Bristol
- Ask and answer questions about dinosaurs
- Explore the wildlife and dinosaur galleries
- Dive into the Jurassic deep with a visit to our Pliosaurus! exhibition (your class will be given a booked slot, before or after the workshop)
Suitable for: Years 2 – 4
Duration: 90 minutes
Group size: Up to 35 pupils – you can book more than one session
Run in partnership with dinosaur experts from the University of Bristol
Special offer: Any school booking a Dinosaur Takeover! workshop can book a FREE in-school follow-up dinosaur session led by postgraduate students from the University of Bristol. Available to all schools within a 40 mile radius of Bristol city centre.
Dinosaur Takeover! will run from 21-24 November with two sessions available each day between 10.15am-11.45pm and 12.30-2pm. Our Dinosaur Takeover! events usually sell out. You’re advised to book your preferred session as soon as possible.
Planning on having a picnic as part of your visit? Free use of our lunch room is included in the cost of your session.
“a great introduction to the world of dinosaurs… and great to handle fossils and think about where they came from and what they were.”
Cam Everlands Primary School, Gloucestershire.
“I liked the way the session considered the children’s prior knowledge and used that to further their understanding e.g. food chains! They loved the ‘actual’ dinosaurs and ‘real’ fossils!”
Merchant’s Academy, 2017
Learning enquiry form
Please complete this form to start the booking process.
Teaching earth sciences
Perhaps our Dinosaur Takeover! dates don't work for your school? Fear not, we have similar workshops available throughout the year to help you deliver your science curriculum: