An exhibition featuring photographs, documents and film charting the history of City Hall and the role of Bristol’s civic centres in democracy in the city.
Bristol’s old city centre had been the administrative and democratic centre of Bristol since the Middle Ages and the Old Council House was built in 1824 on Corn Street.
By the 1930s, the Council House was too small for regular use and a new site on College Green was proposed.
Completion of Bristol’s ‘new’ Council House was delayed by the Second World War but the building was eventually opened by Elizabeth II in 1956.
It was renamed ‘City Hall’ in 2012 and recently reopened after being redeveloped in 2016.